Saturday, March 26, 2011

RED AND WHITE QUILTS, OH MY!

Currently at the American Folk Art Museum in New York City, they are exhibiting a huge collection of red and white quilts.  You can see a group of pictures by clicking here.  Also, Barbara Brackman has posted some photos of red and white quilts (not from the exhibit but from her collection on photos) here on her March 24th entry.

I won’t be making it to New York City anytime soon, if ever, but I just love the look of those red and white quilts.  Totally inspired, I jumped onto my EQ5 program and designed a 16” X 24” quilt using the “Capital T” block.  The blocks finish 4” square.
Crossroads
If any of you get a chance to go to the AFAM exhibit, be sure to take lots of photos and share!

Now I must visit my “Resource Center,” also known as the stash, for the needed fabrics.  My quilt may be scrappier than what I designed, but all within the red/white color scheme.

The Keystone Medallion is sandwiched and ready to machine quilt with a simple grid pattern using invisible thread on top and a cream thread on bottom.  First, I’ve got to make a test piece to make sure the tension is correct and whether I need the clear or dark invisible thread.  Keystone comes before Red and White T’s.  So I gotta hop to it!
Signature

4 comments:

  1. Thankyou for the link to view the Red and White quilts. They are simply sensational! especially when they are all together. Since I heard about this exhibition I have been looking at the reds in my stash in a different way. I still haven't found the pattern I would like to do, but I am thinking of pieced baskets. Your designing your quilt on EQ has inspired me to try the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't get to go either! :( I am inspired to make one of my own, though! Are you doing your quilt with just two fabrics, or scrappy red and white? I'm thinking scrappy for mine.....

    Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your red and white quilt will be beautiful...can't wait to see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design....... Thanks for the link to the other quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!