I decided to add the basket handle and I’m glad I did. To stabilize the bias edge of the half square block before stitching on the basket handle, I spray starched liberally. Fortunately, it held the shape of the half square very well and everything matched up perfectly when I stitched it to the body of the basket.
All the blue fabrics are from a charm pack of Brackman’s Civil War Reunion. Since I prewashed the 5” charms, they now only measure 4 1/2” square so I could only get 4 HST from each charm square. Therefore, I have three different blue fabrics but the color ways all went well together. Next time I buy a charm pack (this was my first), I will NOT pre-wash them! Lesson learned.
Although I have not started my red and white T-Block quilt project yet, I just had to make some test blocks to see how pretty the block was going to be. First I did a 4” finished block and discovered that handling all those teeny, tiny pieces were a bit difficult for my big clumsy hands, so I tried the 6” finished block next.
It was much easier to handle, so I will be going with the 6” blocks instead. It will make my quilt a little larger but not too large. Because I’m going to the 6” block, I will not be able to use the same red fabric throughout the whole quilt. So a scrappy red and white it will be. That is after I machine quilt the Keystone Medallion.
Guess I better get back to work, but before I do, let me share with you a picture of the first rose from my Souvenir de la Malmaison rose bush. Wish I could upload the wonderful fragrance as well. We need "smell-a-blog."