Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Machine Appliqué New Mexico Style

Over the last nine months, I received 9 of 12 blocks of the month from Southwest Decoratives in Albuquerque, NM.  I have never machine appliquéd anything but plants, flowers and vases so this is a new challenge for me.  The series is called Mission Churches of New Mexico.

I am working on the pattern I like the least simply because if I mess it up, it won’t bother me as much as messing up some of the other prettier (in my opinion) churches.  My favorite so far is the Mission at Rancho de Taos.

The pattern picture of that block is below.

Pattern Photo

These are some of the appliqué pieces ironed on Steam-a-Seam 2 and cut out for placement.

Pieces 

The appliqué placement involves a vinyl overlay traced with the pattern parts for proper positioning.  (You will notice that the window in the center is cock-eyed.  It’s not pressed down yet so don’t worry.  I’ll fix it.

Close

Basically all I need to add are the two towers, domes, and three crosses then it’s time to press all the pieces down before stitching.  Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!