Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A NEW WOOL PASSION

I have been missing in action from this blog but all is well.  I just celebrated my 63rd (egad!) birthday without any major trauma.  Like Sweetie says, it is better than the alternative.  Yep it is!

In the last couple of months I developed a new passion – felted wool applique -- which proves you are never too old to learn.  Presenting my first completed project, HO, HO, HO.

ho ho ho table mat
My "masterpiece"

The pattern is from Sew Unique Creations.  It is supposed to have wool pennies around the outside but mine didn’t come out even so I left them off until I can figure out a solution.  My stitching is not very consistent in spacing and length but I think that will get better with practice because I've never done a blanket stitch before.


Larger Image
Pattern photo from Sew Unique Creations

I’m currently working on two projects.  The first is for Valentines Day,  "Hearts & Flowers"  by Granola Girls.

Pattern Cover

I’ve got the wool pieces cut out and ready for placement and stitching onto the background.

The second one is a pattern from Threads That Bind called "Gentle Breeze".  It is the sheep weather vane at the top of the pattern.

Pattern Cover for Gentle Breeze

Here it is on my design board with the plastic overlay placed.  I’m working on the tongues now.

In Progress

Have no fear, I have not forsaken quilt making, but have extended my interest to this needle craft.  My Janome has been to the sewing machine hospital for an adjustment and cleaning so she is ready to hum.

We in North Central Texas are enjoying a beautiful sun shining 80 degree day so my apologies to my snow covered New England readers.  Let’s just keep on stitching snow or shine!
a red Signature
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons license.

4 comments:

  1. I like your Santa the way he is. I am definitely not a primitive or country style affectionado. But I am always drawn to wool felt. A friend does beautiful work with bright colors and great designs. I can't leave cute things like these on my tables because I have a dog that likes to check out the tables and bring stuff down to his level.... But a wall hanging, oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! Love the primitive wool look! Are familiar with the Rabbit's Lair in Rogers, Arkansas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a no reply commenter. :( Love your wool projects!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!