Wednesday, May 30, 2012

STRING QUILT EXPERIMENT

For quite some time I’ve been saving used dryer sheets.  I had an idea that they would make great foundations for string quilt blocks.  Before I sewed on them though, I washed and dried them again to make sure all the fabric softener residue was gone.

dryer sheets

I pressed the individual dryer sheets on a medium heat setting as needed.

stack sewn strips


Gathered a whole bunch of scrap strips of no particular width but at least 7” long.

sewing one strip on top of another

I placed one strip on top of another in the center, right sides together, then sewed down one side with a 1/4” seam allowance.  This is the fun part.  You can put the pedal to the metal and chain sew one right after the other.  No major concentration needed.  Perfect meditation time.

two sewn strips ironed

Next I ironed the strips open, then added another strip to the existing ones to come up with a stack of pieced blocks.

block strips before trimming 2

The blocks were trimmed from their oblong shape into 6 1/2” squares.

rail fence strips design wall

Here they are on my design board in no particular order.  I may try other settings, who knows.  At any rate, this is a perfect scraps buster project.

Ranger loves to play with the used dryer sheets as evidenced by this scene I discovered a while ago on the floor of my sewing room.

rangers party w dryer sheets

Consequently, they have to be put out of his reach when not working on them.  For some reason, he has dryer sheet radar.  No dryer sheet is safe if he can get to it.

DSCN1063

And no basket of clean clothes escapes his attention either.  It’s a perfect place to plop his royal self and take a little cat nap.

The little stinker!
a red Signature
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons license.

2 comments:

  1. I heard of using dryer sheets before but didn't know they really worked. Great use of scraps and recycling at the same time, it's like getting a free quilt. My little dog loves Kleenex.

    I don't even want to talk about the Ranger game tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite the dryer sheet patrol ;-)
    Interesting concept for re-use. I'd like to make a diamond strung quilt...someday.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!