Thursday, March 22, 2012

LATEST READS


A little reading is in progress at my house when I’m not sewing or scratching my itchy shingles aftermath.
First, I read
book
I haven’t seen the movie although the trailers are what interested me enough to look into the book.  I got hooked and couldn’t put it down once I got started.  The plot is fairly complex, involving financial scandal, a 20-year old murder mystery, strange romantic partners, family sagas, and magazine journalism shenanigans.  The Swedish names were a bit confusing for me at first but I managed to sort it out.  Apparently there is a trilogy of books featuring these main characters so I’ve ordered a copy of  the second in this series, The Girl Who Played With Fire’ from my local library.
foursome
In the meantime, I picked up one of the paperback novels in my collection that I’ve had for some time, Jeremiah Healy’s Foursome.  It’s a murder mystery – my favorite – that was a quick page turner.  I heard the author speak several years ago at a mystery convention in Dallas several years ago called “Cluefest.”  I’ve been reading through his John Cuddy series off and on since sometime in the 1990s is my guess.  It was a fast read.
For the sometimes color-challenged quilters such as myself, I want to recommend The Quilter’s Color Club by Christine E. Barnes published by C&T Publishing.
color club
This is a must-have book if you want to take your quilt design to the next level.  Yes, there is the color-wheel discussion in depth, but there is so much more.  There is discussion and photos covering luster, luminosity, and transparency.
The photography in this book is stunning.  You can really see what the author is talking about in beautiful color and design.  There are eight different projects as well applying the principles spelled out by Ms. Barnes.  We no longer need to worry about our quit looking flat, boring, or the same-old same old quilt.
I highly recommend this book.
That’s all for now.
4DEA7756AA76A8C2ED1DD6FECE3A970C

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the Girl Who...series...we read them quite awhile back before the American movie was made...and we saw the foreign films with subtitles of them...all were really great!! It will hard to see the main character played by a different actress as the one we saw was so good!! Enjoy! I think the author would have written more of her life as there are a few unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!