Tuesday, November 29, 2011

COOL OLD STUFF

When my aunt and uncle from south Texas visited over the Thanksgiving holiday, they brought me several interesting old sewing items.  I collect old needle books so I was thrilled to receive these.

IMG_0001IMG_0002

The NY World Fair book is from 1939.  Oh so modern and sophisticated for its time.

IMG_0003
Here is a great little article with photos about collecting vintage/antique needle books/cases at Country Living magazine.

Also, they brought this 1940s era Cinderella Apron pattern published by the JC Penney Company in the 1940s.  It’s in good condition.

Cinderella

Wish I could show the the colorful pictures inside this foldout pattern but it’s too big for me to scan on my machine.  It’s a cutie!

Although I don’t crochet, she brought these three crochet booklets published in the 1930s and 40s.

Crochet booklets

Don’t you just love old stuff?  I'm glad I do because I have lots of it, including my old man.  He's a keeper.
a Signature

4 comments:

  1. Just love vintage patterns!!! The graphics are always so creative, ie. the birds on the end of the apron strings LOL! that just wouldn't happen today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Donna, I think you need to make that apron! You could show and tell it at the Christmas guild meeting! And, I agree, sometimes the old, tried and true are the real keepers in life.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great treasures! Thanks for the article link - I read it at the time and love being able to go back to it.
    Aren't those doilies something? All the starch and ruffles!!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the graphics inn the old advertising, especially on the needle books and sewing machine cards. As popular as Disney characters were, I am always surprised that we don't see more of them on quilts. The few I have seen are cross-stitched Disney quilts with pre-fab quilting, although I recently acquired a fabulous series of partially finished applique blocks based on the Seven Dwarfs. I have to assume there are so few quilts because Disney Productions so tightly controlled their copyrights and did not themselves make applique patterns readily available. Thanks for stopping by at my Quilt History Reports blog today and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!