Tuesday, June 14, 2011

CIVIL WAR QUILT BLOCK OF THE WEEK 24

During the Civil War, the Ladies Aid groups provided a huge service to the soldiers by making bandages, blankets, quilts or serving as nurses to the wounded.  Of course, there were many fundraisers as well in order to finance their efforts.



This is my version of this week’s Civil War Quilt block #24, Ladies Aid Album.

24 Ladies' Aid Album

The angel in the center of this block is my tribute to the angels of mercy who worked so tirelessly to comfort the wounded soldiers as best they could under such unsophisticated, unsanitary circumstances in the hospitals of the era. 


http://www.shorpy.com/node/3425?size=_original
"May 1864. Fredericksburg, Virginia. Cooking tent of the U.S. Sanitary Commission." Photograph from the main Eastern theater of war, Grant's Wilderness Campaign, May-June 1864. Wet plate glass negative by James Gardner.”
 Go directly to  http://www.shorpy.com/node/3425?size=_original to view a large, very detailed version of this picture. 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you did with this block!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the block you made this week!
    The angel in the middle is such a terrific symbol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing photo!!! The more detailed version is wonderful, but circumstances look very primative and life must have been very uncomfortable.
    You did a lovely job of the latest CW block!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!