Wednesday, April 13, 2011

CIVIL WAR QUILT JOURNEY– BLOCK #15

This block is called “Fort Sumter,” to commemorate the anniversary of the beginning of the United States Civil War in April 1861 at that particular fort.

15 Fort Sumpter
It took several fabric auditions before setting on this combination.  All I knew for sure is that I wanted that particular red piece in the center.  It comes from a 5” charm pack of Barbara Brackman’s Civil War Reunion collection.



I learned a valuable lesson about charm packs.  Don’t pre-wash them if you don’t want to lose 1/2” of the fabric in shrinkage.  That shrinkage has limited the pieces I can use in the CW Quilt BOM.  If you need 4 pieces at 2 1/2” square, you are just out of luck.

Pre-wash is the usual first step with all fabric that comes into my house.  The finishing, chemicals, dust, etc. cause major nose and eye itching due to allergies.  However, I’ll give any future charm packs a reprieve from the pre-washing routine next time, if there is a next time.

Nothing much else going on at this time, sew I’ll catch you later.
Signature

1 comment:

  1. Your latest block is just lovely! I did the same thing found the centre piece first and then the accompanying fabrics to go with it!!
    I wash everything too, and when my charm squares shrunk, I took to buying layer cakes!!! (10"x10") at least I can be sure I will get a little more out of each print LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!