Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quilting Heritage

A recent AARP Bulletin has an interesting article about quilting heritage that can be read by clicking on the words AARP Bulletin above. My quilting interest stemmed from my grandmother on my father’s side of the family. A Hill Country Texas ranch wife, she made three quilt tops in the mid-1950s for each of her three grandkids in my family. The fabric was mostly feedsacks, and not the most square or accurately pieced quilts in the world, but since she died from a brain tumor in 1958, we treasure those tops dearly. Two have since been hand quilted, one utility stitched by me in 2006.

Granny's quilt w Hunter dad deb My nephew, Dad and Sister with the one I quilted for her

However, the one I kept for myself will remain unquilted. It was paper pieced on old catalogue pages, strictly a “make do” project. It looks like she used every little piece of fabric she had in her scrap bag.

20100314_0045 This photo is only about 1/4 of the whole quilt.

20100314_0042 It’s fun to look at the back of this top to catch glimpses of dresses for $3.49, blouses, undergarments, and the like.

20100314_0044 Aren’t you glad we don’t have to wear these instruments of torture (corsets) these days?

20100314_0046 Close up of some of the fabrics

I need to get a photo of my brother’s quilt. It was handquilted in the 1980’s by my mother-in-law.

On a final note, I was scanning through digital photos looking for in-law pictures when I came across this one of Ranger lying on my Spring quilt.

On Spring Q Close

Isn’t he handsome?

Next time I'll talked about my Grandmother on my Mother's side of the family and the surprise I received from her Estate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!