Monday, June 15, 2009

Quilt Gardens in Amish Country

In honor of the upcoming 4th of July holiday, I changed my dining room quilt display to a patriotic theme. The hanging quilt is one a made a year ago using Jo Morton fabrics for the center and cornerstones. The quilt on the rack below it is a vintage quilt I bought from Ebay a couple of years ago - and Lone Star quilt with a red and white star on a blue mini dot background. My Aunt made the little doll many years ago. I'm trying to remember where I put the little blue quit bear that my husband's mother made from one of his grandmothers old falling apart quilts. I think it would be cute in this display as well.


Speaking of my Aunt, she recently sent me the June/July 2009 issue of Country Woman magazine with an article she thought I would enjoy about gardens in Amish Country laid out in various quilt block designs. Wow, what a sight! You can see photographs of the various flower "blocks" at http://www.flickr.com/photos/amishcountry. Since they are copyrighted photos, I can't publish the actual pictures here on my blog. I would love to see these in person, wouldn't you?

In the Ohio and Tennessee, there are also groups of barns with quilt blocks painted on the side. You can see photos of these at http://www.flickr.com/groups/407089@N22/. I have a storage building in my back yard that is visible from the street that runs behind our house. The quilt barns inspired to me paint a block on my building, but I can't decide which block I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!