Tuesday, February 28, 2012

MORE COTTON BAG GOODIES


Karen Shultz, a member of the Small Quilt Talk Yahoo Group, shared the following poem with that group that goes along with my cotton bag quilt post of yesterday.  She has graciously allowed me to share it with you on my blog.

It’s entitled “THE FLOUR SACK” by COLLEEN B. HUBERT.  READ THE POEM HERE courtesy of the Clark County, WI Internet Library.  I remember well my Dad talking about his feed sack shirts and such.
For additional photographs of cotton bag clothing and information, I found this on the internet – CLICK HERE.

The quilt below is another of my feed sack quilts purchased at an antique mall in Mansfield, Texas several years ago.  It goes by many names, but most prominently it’s know as the Arkansas Snowflake.

DSCN0769

DSCN0772

Here is a link to an about.com quilting page with a pattern for a small doll sized quilt using this pattern.
Enjoy.
Signature

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet quilt! I love the red scalloped border/binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turning sacks into quilt is an affordable and creative way of going about the craft, and it is certainly an eco-friendly project too. The material is soft and easy to sew. The Arkansas Snowflake is a perfect example of it. It's also a beautiful décor, and it would work very well as a warm wrap around during those chilly days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flour sack quilt is just wonderful, I love the simple pattern! Thanks for other links too, they are of great interest!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!