Saturday, September 17, 2011

Block #37, Confederate Rose

Just wanted to drop in to post a photo of Block 37 of the Civil War Quilt from Barbara Brackman that I finished making about 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning, just in time to download the new block that will be up on her blog about 6:00 a.m.

37 Confederate Rose

I used a slightly different method of making the part that goes around the center floral square.  Instead of using templates and having weird inset seams, I just cut two 6.5” squares, then cut them diagonally, sewing them to each side of the center like a square in a square.  Then I trimmed the square in a square to 6.25 inches before sewing on the next strips.  It went together perfectly.  I almost used my red/cream star background fabric where I place the red fabric but didn't like how it looked.  I switched it to the corners and I'm glad I did.

Now it’s time to go to sleep, if I could just turn off my mind.  I've got to rest up for the next block!
a Signature

5 comments:

  1. You used some beautiful fabrics in this block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever solution with beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous! I love the fussy cut flower center. The fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm playing catch up, following being sick for all of August and I am SO GLAD to see someone use the square in a square method for the centre - I was wondering why the inset seams etc when the sq in a sq method gives the same result! Well, I think it does anyway.... I'm just about to head into my sewing room and get started!
    Your block is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!