Monday, June 14, 2010

All the Way to Santa Fe

 

We saw more churches on our way to Santa Fe.  There was the mission in Truchas

Truchas Church

and Sacred Heart in Nambe.

Sacred Heart Church Nambe

While in  Santa Fe, we visited the Museum of International Folk Art.

extmoifamay2008

Unfortunately, part of the museum was closed due to remodeling but we got to see the most wonderful textiles exhibit as well as a wonderful collection of Rio Grande weaving by Irvin Trujillo

trujillosample1

colcha embroidery

colcha

and traditional costumes from all over the world.

Russian dress c. 1900                                              Russian Dress c. 1900

There was even a red and white appliquéd friendship quilt with signatures from the 19th century.  I was in heaven!!!!!!!

Next stop – Georgia O’Keeffe Museum.

okeeffe museum

We had seen the Abiquiu home/studio, now it was time to see some of her art.  The focus of the current exhibit was her early (1917-20’s) abstract art.  Not my favorite, but still worthy of a visit.  I much prefer her landscapes and architectural paintings (I guess you can from all the adobe church photos that I love that architecture).  You can see a slide show of O’Keeffe’s artwork in their permanent exhibit here

We couldn’t leave Santa Fe without visiting a couple of more churches, St. Francis

St. Francis

and I can’t remember the name of this one located in the downtown area.

Santa Fe  Church Close

Walking around the old downtown area of Santa Fe helped stretch out those sore muscles from three days of walking at Taos and Abiquiu.  We only window shopped.  Hey, the prices there are not compatible with our meager budget, but they couldn’t spoil our admiration of such fine pottery, rugs, blankets, and jewelry.

 

Pots 3

We just had to go home and admire our own  small Acoma Pueblo pottery collection instead.

Don’t think I got away from Santa Fe without spending a little shopping money.  Santa Fe Quilting Company had a lot of great southwestern-style batiks.  Some of them made it into my suitcase, in particular these:

Fabrics NM Close 

Batiks are not my favorite, but I’ll use them in something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, leave me a comment so I know that I'm not talking to just myself!